I know I know…I should be all hot and bothered that the Giants are in the Superbowl. You know what I care about more though? The Food. Yep, I’m that girl and I love it. Babycakes is an awesome (holy shit are they awesome) g-free bakery on the lower east side and its owner is wickedly cool. Here is one of her recipes: Chili-Filled Cornbread Cupcakes with Sour Cream Icing. Whoa.
- 1 box Cornbread Muffin Mix (we used Jiffy Cornbread Mix)
- 1 egg & 1/3 cup milk (per Muffin Mix Directions – may change according to mix used)
- 1 can Chili
- Prepare the Muffin Mix according to Mix directions. Preheat Babycakes Cupcake Maker. Line wells with paper liners (optional) and fill each with approximately 2 Tbsp of Muffin Mix. Bake approximately 4 minutes, or until tester inserted into middle of muffins comes out clean. Remove muffins and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, core each muffin (make sure not to go completely to the bottom). Heat chili to thin slightly. Fill each cored muffin with chili. Cool.
- Prepare frosting (recipe follows). Frost cupcakes.
- 1 cup + 1 ½ Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ½ tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)
- Mix sour cream and flour in a medium-sized bowl. Add butter and beat until fluffy. Add lime juice and cilantro and mix well.
Makes Approximately 12-16 Mini Cupcakes.
- For easier coring, use a small melon scooper or the back-end of a turkey baster (squeeze ball removed).
- Add different spices or herbs to flavor frosting, such as chili spice, parsley. etc.
- Garnish cupcakes with different chili toppings, such as crushed Fritos, shredded cheddar cheese, pickled jalapeno slices, or diced onions.
- Save the cored pieces of muffin to use as a topping for chili or for extra flavor in stuffings, bread salads, etc.