I should rename these the anything goes squares because I’ve added and subtracted so many things in these bars while trying to keep them healthy. These have no flour, are gluten free and you can keep them relatively sugar free if you take out the chocolate.
Landon devours these so I add extra bananas to sneak fruit into her diet. I love them before the gym in the morning so that I have more energy and in the afternoon when I have to have something sweet. Another note is that I prefer them kept in the fridge especially in this SC heat. If you keep them out… they are just too mushy for me.
I adapted this recipe from about 5 different ones on Pinterest. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened Pure Almond coconut milk (or whatever milk you prefer to use)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large mashed banana. Done this with 2 bananas also for Landon and they are just as good
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter
- Optional: Add 1 cup dark chocolate chips; And/Or coconut; And/Or any nuts you like
- Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.
- Then add in the mashed banana and almond butter. Combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch metal baking pan. Bake at 350 F degrees and check at 20 minutes. When I add more ingredients, they can take up to 28 minutes to bake.
- Cut into squares, then.. EAT!